Tuesday, March 11, 2008

The IT Illiterate Strikes Again


This bloke comes in to where I work to say that the electronic part of the Victorinox Voyager knife he owned have been faulty. He had been using the knife as an alarm clock and timer, and other exotic things when it died on him about 3 months ago. As he didn't have a receipt anymore, he had to contact his bank, Nationwide to get a credit card statement.

However, because they were so inefficient, he had to keep chasing them to actually give him the statement. It took them three months (hence why he waited for three months to come in store to get it fixed) to finally deliver the statements to him, and when they did, they sent him four copies.

Nationwide's inefficiencies aside, he shoes us the credit card statement and the knife. I fiddle around with it for a little while, and asked him, "This may sound like a pretty obvious question, but have you changed the battery?" He laughed me off and said that he did, so I gave him a returns form to fill in. He was a nice enough fellow, but was pretty insistent that we rang him the next day to keep him updated.

As he leaves, I continued fiddling with it longer. I looked at the battery compartment, took it out, saw the (+) sign, flipped the battery round, and lo and behold, the whole thing works again!
So, I rang him to tell him I fixed the problem. Then he said something pretty vindicating, "I feel stupid now!" (At which point I had to coo, ah no no, of course you're not). I felt a bit sorry for the guy because he went through all that effort with Nationwide, and for what? A silly mistake.

Now, I'm not a big fan of knives, especially when they are lumped together with a whole bunch of other tools and you have to pick at the tiny little grooves to get them out, only for it to accidentally snap back in again, dragging a good chunk of your fingers with it. If you think about it, this sort of thing only ever appeals to men who feel the need to compensate for their inability to multitask. And as a general rule, these lot also are not particularly tech-savvy. Add these two up together, and what do you get?

No comments: